Reporting Matt Loede
CLEVELAND (92.3 The Fan) – Indians general manager Chris Antonetti says that relief pitcher Nick Hagadone is going on the “disqualified list” after a self inflicted injury after his poor outing Friday night vs the Rays.
The injury suffered by Hagadone is to his left pitching hand.
Hagadone went just 0.2 innings in Friday night’s game, and allowed two runs on two hits, walking two batters. He has been awful as of late, and Friday night appeared to be the result of multiple poor outings.
“We are disappointed with the reaction to it, I think we all shared Nick’s frustration coming out of the game,” Antonetti said Sunday afternoon.
Hagadone started like a house of fire when he came up with the Indians in 2012, since May 26th when his ERA was 1.93, he has allowed 15 runs on 19 hits, walking 9 and striking out 12 in 11.1 innings.
“He (Hagadone) is very remorseful and very sorry about what happened, and he’s been very accountable for it,” Antonetti said.
The list that Hagadone is on is the minor league disqualified list, meaning that he cannot make Major League salary nor will he get any Major League service time.
Antonetti said that Hagadone will be seeing Dr.Thomas Graham on Monday about the injury, and the team will update the situation on Tuesday.
The injury took place “immediately after the outing” according to Antonetti, and while he would not confirm exactly what Hagadone did, he did say the injury was long term.
To take Hagadone’s place on the roster, the team has brought back relief pitcher Scott Barnes from Triple-A. Barnes is 0-0 with a 7.71 ERA in five games with the Indians so far this season, and is active for today’s finale before the All-Star break.