92-3-the-fan b

News

High School Senior Dies After Ingesting Toxic Amount Of Caffeine Powder

View Comments
(Credit: Thinkstock)

(Credit: Thinkstock)

CBS Cleveland (con't)

Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSCleveland.com/ACA

Health News & Information: CBSCleveland.com/Health

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Trending
NBACheerPAS_420x316 NBA Cheerleader Pick-A-Side
rockwives 210x158 High School Senior Dies After Ingesting Toxic Amount Of Caffeine Powder Hottest Rock Star Wives
Rihanna Ice Bucket (16) VIDEO: Eminem & Rihanna Ice Bucket Challenge
afterlightpsl2 e1409051353659 High School Senior Dies After Ingesting Toxic Amount Of Caffeine Powder Password To Unlock The Pumpkin Spice Lattes!

LAGRANGE, Ohio (CBS Cleveland) – A senior at Keystone High School was found dead after he ingested toxic amounts of caffeine powder.

WJW reports that Logan Stiner, 18, was found unresponsive by his brother in their family home.

Steven Evans, the Loraine County Coroner told the station that Stiner’s death was a result of having toxic levels of caffeine in his blood after ingesting the powder.  The overdose caused cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure.

It is unknown where Stiner received the powder but Evans told WJW that it can be purchased online and mixed into water or soda. It is popular amongst teenagers.

About 1/16 of a teaspoon of the powder is equal to one can of any high-powered caffeine drink.

Evans said that Stiner was alone when he ingested the powder, so it is not known how much he drank.

Jay Arbaugh, Keystone Local School District Superintendent, described Stiner as “a top student, a top athlete, and a great kid.”

Stiner was also named prom king.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 813 other followers