by Beau Bishop
Listen to Beau’s “Kegs & Eggs” show every Saturday morning during college football season from 10 am to noon on 92.3 The Fan
1) I think this is the game J.T. Barrett has waited his entire life to play. He has yet to played in one with more hype and where all eyes will be pointed in his direction. Sure, he was great in 2014 in East Lansing but that was a 14th ranked Ohio State team, there was little to no thought of what would come and Barrett did not play in any of Ohio State’s three game run to the national title that followed.
He is the leader and best player on an offense that I believe has to be great for the Buckeyes to win. I expect he’ll play that way and put himself at the front of the Heisman race.
2) Sam Hubbard, Jalyn Holmes, Tyquan Lewis and whoever else Ohio State uses to rush the passer are going to have to stay disciplined. Sooners Quarterback Baker Mayfield is at his best when the pocket breaks down and he can play backyard ball. It is critical that when The Silver Bullets get pressure they get Mayfield down, flushing him from the pocket only makes him and the Sooners offense more explosive.
3) All this talk about quarterback play and I really believe the team that runs it better will win. Oklahoma has two of the country’s best in Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine while the Buckeyes duo of Mike Weber and Curtis Samuel might just be good enough to match them in time. OU gave up on the ground game in the loss to Houston, I am certain the Sooner coaches have learned from that mistake.
4) All the pressure is on Oklahoma, a loss and they are cooked. Conversely, Ohio State can roll into this one without a care in the world. A loss in Norman will not derail anything for the Buckeyes and I expect them to play that way. I expect a classic Saturday night.
5) Because, well its OSU-OU week. I would pay to see this game. This is what makes college football so great, two programs that are both in the top 5 all-time playing on each others home field in back to back seasons. Good for Ohio State and Oklahoma for making it happen. It will be a sight.
1) Awesome, awesome weekend of college football. All three top three teams play ranked opponents this weekend. Top ranked Bama is at 19th Ole Miss looking to avenge back to back losses to The Rebels while 2nd ranked Florida State is at 10th ranked Louisville. The beauty of it is that the games are spaced out, FSU-UL at noon, Bama-Ole Miss at 3:30 and OSU-OU at 7:30. Its football nirvana, people!
2) Notre Dame is an -8 hosting Michigan State. That’s a line that Mark Dantonio will eat for lunch.
3) On the ‘Future Browns Quarterback’ watch list, it would be nice if Deshan Watson started to look the part. I still believe in the Clemson gunslinger but boy he has made it hard through the first two weeks.
4) Unsolicited Adult Beverage Consuming Tip of the Week: It’s going to be a long football Saturday, pace yourself and mix in a water.