by Beau Bishop
Listen to Beau’s “Kegs & Eggs” show every Saturday morning during college football season from 10 am to noon on 92.3 The Fan
1) Ken Carman asked me this week when doing our weekly Tuesday chat what Ohio State’s weakness was … I said perhaps the fact that this young team will have to play with a bullseye all season, something the ’14 Buckeyes didn’t have to do. It got me thinking is there anything else? If you had to assign a weakness to this team what would it be?
On the two hour drive to Columbus to tape the weekly Eleven Warriors television show I do, I settled on the fact that this team has not yet faced adversity. Both ‘weaknesses’ are intangibles, but frankly it’s all I could come up with. From a talent standpoint there just isn’t a single deficiency.
2) For whatever reason Indiana has given Urban’s teams fits recently. He said this week of playing the Hoosiers ‘this one is real’ Urban typically reserves the ‘real’ talk for Sparty, Michigan in other words the big boys. I don’t believe Indiana is a big boy but they will be a significant step up from Rutgers.
3) J.T. Barrett’s Heisman Campaign is on. Over the next month Barrett will get plenty of primetime, all eyes on me opportunities. He will also get some good ‘stat padding’ opportunities. This week is one of those. I expect a big game from #16.
4) Through four games Mike Weber is off to a better start to his career than Ezekiel Elliott had to his. In a million years, who could’ve predicted that.
1) Texas Coach Charlie Strong is coaching for his job Saturday when his ‘Horns take on Oklahoma in the Red River Shootout. Frankly, even with a win he’s probably cooked. Texas zeroing in on Tom Herman and if that is how it plays out, I cannot imagine a match more made in heaven. Herman would crush it in Austin.
2) Interesting game Saturday in College Station when 8th ranked Texas A&M hosts 9th ranked Tennessee. Both programs have underachieved, neither handles success very well and yet both look awfully real midway through the season.
3) What is it 1992? Washington and Colorado both ranked and in the drivers seat in the Pac 12. It’s cool to see both back on the radar after long vacations from relevancy.
4) Weekly ‘future possible Browns QB update’
DeShone Kizer and Notre Dame play at NC State at Noon.
Deshaun Watson and Clemson play at B.C. at 7:30.