There’s no better way to start your day than with a delicious breakfast. There are many options when it comes to breakfast foods and one often overlooked dish is the breakfast casserole. A casserole can take on many variations, and we spoke with Danielle Doran of Grumpy’s Cafe who shared some recipes from the popular Tremont restaurant.
2621 W. 14th St.
Tremont, OH 44113
This year, the Cleveland Hot List named Grumpy’s Cafe as the restaurant with the best breakfast in Cleveland. Breakfast is served during the week from 7 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., and on the weekends you can stop in for brunch from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Danielle Doran is the General Manager at Grumpy’s Cafe and she also helps out in the kitchen. Danielle has been with Grumpy’s for almost nine years now. Her favorite menu item is the Jambalaya Omelet, which consists of Grumpy’s popular jambalaya piled into a crepe-like egg omelet and then topped with cheese and grilled shrimp. All of the breakfast dishes at Grumpy’s are served with Cajun home fries.
Related: Best Pizza in Cleveland
This recipe is used for large breakfast gatherings. It will serve 10-15 people in a half pan. It can also be doubled and feed 30+ people in a full pan.
- 12 slices white bread
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 4 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 10 beaten eggs
- 2.5 cups half & half
- 2.5 cups milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 1/4 tsp worcestershire sauce
- chopped parsley to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Butter pan.
- Cut bread into pieces and layer 1/2 of bread on bottom of pan.
- Layer 1/2 of the cheese and then the rest of the bread.
- Mix the rest of ingredients (minus parsley) and pour into pan.
- Top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake for 1 hour and let sit for 10 minutes after taking it out of the oven.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy!
- Scrambled eggs
- Cheddar cheese
- One or more of your own fillings: chicken, vegetables, bacon, sausage, ham, Andouille sausage, turkey bacon, chorizo sausage
- Scramble together the eggs, cheese and filling.
- Layer it all over Cajun home fries.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Andouille sausage
- Chorizo sausage
- Peppers & onions
- Put all of the ingredients in a skillet to heat up and brown.
- Top with cheddar cheese and spritz with a little water, then put a lid on to melt the cheese.
- This dish can be baked as well and topped with any type of eggs.
Amanda Keeler is a freelance writer and Social Media Director, living in the Cleveland, Ohio area. She has a B.A. from The Ohio State University in Public Relations. Her work can be found on Examiner.com.