Stardust commands the spotlight. But he isn’t just taking his closeup, he’s creating a legacy. Well, technically he’s continuing a legacy. While Stardust and his half-brother Goldust are WWE Tag Team Champions. They are also the sons of all-everything wrestler Dusty Rhodes. The American dream continues, down a new path.
Here are 8 things you didn’t know about Stardust.
1. Part of a wrestling family, Stardust, also known as Cody Rhodes, was born Cody Garrett Runnels. His father is hall-of-fame wrestler Dusty Rhodes, and his half-brother — and tag team partner — is Dustin Rhodes, who wrestles as Goldust. His uncles include professional wrestlers Fred Ottman and Jerry Sags.
2. Runnels won the Georgia State wrestling title for the 189-pound division in 2003 and 2004, his junior and senior years of high school. Plans to wrestle collegiately at Penn State were sidetracked by a deal with Ohio Valley Wrestling, then a WWE developmental territory.
3. In high school, Runnels worked as a referee for Turnbuckle Wrestling Championship, his dad’s wrestling promotion, which operated between 2000 and 2003. He officiated matches for Disco Inferno and Big Ron Studd, among others.
4. For a time, Rhodes billed himself as WWE’s best-looking wrestler, even going so far as to offer grooming tips for his less attractive fans (basically everyone else). In an early-2011 match, Rey Mysterio actually broke his nose in a match, forcing Rhodes out of the ring and seemingly ruining the narcissist character. But Rhodes eventually returned to the ring with a clear mask, which became a weapon… and then a prop for a new act.
6. Rhodes is a big fan of comic books, reading them voraciously and incorporating them into his act when he can. His pre-Stardust robe, for example, was originally supposed to have a Mister Sinister theme. His favorite characters include Archangel, Thor and Captain America, not to mention Cyclops and X-Men.
7. Rhodes, as Stardust, is part of a tag team with his half-brother, as Goldust. The two recently won the WWE Tag Team Championship, defeating The Usos, another tag team of brothers.
8. Rhodes is married to Brandi Reed, a former news reporter and model. She also competed as Eden Stiles in Florida Championship Wrestling and served as ring announcer for WWE NXT and, more recently, WWE Main Event.
Norm Elrod likes sports and other sanctioned forms of craziness.